Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 2 : Shiner


If you couldn't tell from the photo, this week we chose to try three different types Shiner.
Shiner is brewed in Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Tx. They've been brewing since 1909 and claim to be the oldest independent brewery in Texas. Founded by German immigrants, they aim to create traditional Bavarian beers. 
  We had all had Shiner Bock and Black Lager previously so we decided to go with Blonde, a light beer,   101, a traditional dark beer crafted for their 101st anniversary,  & Heffeweizen, a citrusy wheat beer.

for more info go to www.shiner.com 

Shiner Blonde      alcohol content: 4.4%

Alex: Very smooth taste, easy to take down, kinda smoky buy not as smoky as smokehaus
Lyle: Very light for a shiner but that is expected with a blonde. Nonetheless it is heavier and stouter than the average light beer. Overall good beer, I would say it could be drank at a party.
Nick: Certainly not your typical shiner, it's a nice change from shiner bock. I really enjoy this and will definitely buy this again.




Shiner 101       alcohol content: 5.5%

Alex: bold taste yet very smooth, stronger than blonde. My favorite of the three

Lyle: strong beer, I would put it on par with a heavier beer, but not a hoppy one, very much a good taste. I would say it is also a party beer but only for a six pack

Nick: while I do enjoy and appreciate a heavy beer every now and then, this beer just isn't quite to my personal taste. This is my least favorite of the three, but then again I'm not the biggest fan dark beer.



Heffeweizen     alcohol content: 5.4% 

Alex: initial thought after first taste; thanksgiving. It has a peculiar taste that is distinguished with a lemon. Stronger taste than blonde, but not more than 101. My second favorite.
Lyle: easily my third favorite beer this week. It reminds me of a Sam Adams due to the hops in this beer. I do think if you added some fruit it would taste better (as they recommend) but with this initial taste I would give it a negative feedback compared to the other two.
Nick: I'm actually not quite sure how to feel about this beer. i enjoyed it, but it's really not a truly memorable beer. That being said, I'm sure it would taste significantly different if we were to follow the directions for proper consumption technique instead of drinking straight from the bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment